Cicloturismo · Monferrato

Monferrato: from the Romans to Barbera, 2 thousand years of history

lu
Lu, who would appear to be cited in papers dating back
to the tenth century, appears with security in an act dated October 3, 1028 ,
when Odda, her  son Oddilo o Guido Lord of Monfalcone donate to the Monastery of
St Peter in Savigliano a tenth of the court of Lu , with the houses , the
sediments and every thing around it, two chapels , one that is in honor of St.
Peter , the other of St. Benedict, with their equipment and appliances, and all
they had in the places of Cuccaro and Mediliano .
Odda was the daughter of
the Marquis of Monferrato Otto , son of Aleramo , Count of Montferrat , Marquis
of the Marca of Western Liguria , a descendant of Theodoric branch of the house
of Kent , who died in 793. Odda dowry to her husband, Otto , of the Visconti of
Auriate , were the assets listed above in the property of the Marquis of
Monferrato
The present village of Lu, on the high hill , was built in the
Middle Ages , when after the Lombard invasion (VI century AD) the population of
the Roman pago of Mediliano entrenched to defend itself , whence the name
derived from the surname Lugus , god of the peaks to which the Celts dedicated
the highest hills
In the plain of Mediliano on the right side of the river
Grana , not far from the church of San Giovanni , the vast area preserves the
remains of the Roman pago; coins of the first century BC were discovered
frequently, remains that still crop up from the turf at each plowing autumn ,
tiles , tombs, cinerary urns , amphorae . Roman  walls and artefacts are
frequent

( Taken from Monferrato between Po and Tanaro , Aldo Ricaldone ,
Se.di.co Libraria editions – L. Fornaca and Gribaudo )

info@bikecomedy.it